Pages

Thursday, December 4, 2014

year 4


 
 
Ok my friends, I am going to sort of wing this post. I don't really have an outline of what I want to talk about but I can share with you how much my year changed me and what I look forward to next year.
 
I am going into year 4 retail. Let me tell you that I think I know everything and nothing about retail by now.
 
If you would have told me last year at this time I would own my own store again, I would have thought you were crazy.
 
I started off on my own three years ago, then shared a store as a co-op space with other businesses and now back to my own store. While sharing a space I learned how to manage time, basic business day to day stuff, and handling customers. In retail you get all sorts. I have learned to have a thick skin and that it is ok to stand up for myself, how I run the store and not feel bad about it.
 
 I would say that having my own store is way-way different than sharing a space.
 
And different it a good way. I now able to bring in a ton of product lines. This store has 1000 times {well that might be an exaggeration} more home décor items than the old space. I have the freedom to merchandise the whole store, which I love even more than painting.
 
I think I learned to relax and go with the flow a bit. Things will always get done because I am a doer.
 But I don't have to get things done right this second.
 
I love surrounding myself with really successful and talented people. I think by doing so I only make myself a better painter. We can stretch and grow together. I love that.
 
Someone asked me yesterday how I got here and I told her. I paint almost everyday, buy almost everyday, say no almost everyday, say yes almost everyday,  plan almost every day, pray almost everyday, and dream almost everyday. I work really hard at it and I know my limitations.
 
I have a five year plan to own a second store called Modern Cottage Kids. I think I can do it.
 
I can't wait to write next years YEAR 5!