Wednesday, June 1, 2011

s c h o o l h o u s e   s l a t e   d r e s s e r



I bought this dresser last week. I thought it was a perfect candidate for Martha Stewart  Schoolhouse Slate paint.
{before}

I sanded the dresser {this one needed a lot of sanding}.  I added two coats of stain blocking primer in white. It would have been ok with one coat but I was planning on having some of the white show through the grey after distressing.

I brushed on only one coat of the grey. I then distressed the piece with a fine grit sand paper, only on the edges. I then mixed one part water, one part dark stain and used a foam brush and lightly when over the entire dresser. I let it sit for about ten minutes then I came back with a damp rag and took most of the stain off. 


I then spray painted the original hardware a black satin. I ended up using two complimentary pulls for two of the top two drawers to add more interest to the piece. 

I finished with a wax in clear. My client Marissa {whom I am painting the cutest table set for} has claimed this dresser already.  I love this color I am definitely going to use it more pieces to go in the shop for purchase.

I am exhausted. Tomorrow I need a day to recover and get ready for my trip to the Farm Chicks in Spokane this weekend.

Please scroll all the way down to see what this was linked to.