Pages

Friday, May 8, 2015

m y    w e e k 

I thought I might try this. My week in this business and a little of home life documented. 

It is a FUN, crazy business, sometimes dirty-messy-dusty. I log a ton of hours in my car every week. I think that might be surprising to people. I probably spend 2-3 hours everyday in my car. I have built up a really fun network of places I visit to pick up pieces, I consider them friends. I go to the hardware store, craft stores, recycling center, my pillow supplier, visiting my friends shops and of course my shop. 

I wrote in my last post how I was going to be working less shifts at the shop. The reason is I want to be out in the field way more. Creating and finding amazing pieces for the store. 

I am there everyday no matter what though. I bring in new pieces almost everyday the store is open. I am super hands on with knowing what sold and to whom. I LOVE merchandising and making sure it looks fresh. 
I like to sit and chat with whoever is working. I love having a super tight team. I have no idea what they think of me, lol! They probably think I am super goofy. Who knows, I try to keep things professional but what I really want is for everyone to feel appreciated. I also want everyone to know how we should appreciate how lucky we are to do what we do. Super big life lessons I have learned this year. I am going to be 40 in November, I guess this is the time to recognize! 

So this week I had some amazing pieces already in my studio ready for me to work on. Normally I don't have a ton of backstock. I buy it, I paint it {hence why I am in the car picking everyday}. I think it is wasted money sitting in my studio waiting for paint. I buy a piece and immediately plan a design for it in my head and start on it immediately. 

This week I knew I wanted to do some colors I hadn't done in a while. 

This petite armoire is so flipping cute I wish I had a place for it. It will be such an amazing statement piece for someone. 

I painted it in Grassy Fields by Benjamin Moore. It is a color I have used a lot. 
{picture in my house, front entry}

My absolute go to paints are General Finishes and Benjamin Moore. If you want a clean look, minimal or no distressing, both paints are amazing.  

I got this paint mixed in an eggshell finish in the Aura {primer already in paint} formula. 
It took three coats and I did minimal distressing with a sanding block. 

I didn't wax or put a top coat on the piece. 

I looked at it and figured it looked lovely in eggshell and if I waxed and buffed it, it would be too shiny with the green.

I also painted a petite buffet in General Finishes Lamp Black, distressed, added Java Gel Stain with a rag and wiped it way back. It just made the black a bit richer with more dimension. I then sealed with General Finishes Liquid Wax. One of the best products I have ever ever ever used. It is like magic.
{picture in my paint studio}

I also painted a sweet empire with mirror.

I then had a blast the next day styling it with Karla in the shop. I can't tell you how much it means to me to leave the shop in Karla's hands when I am not there. She is a rock star. Plus we keep in touch all day long through phone calls and texts. I always know what is going on at the shop.

 Molly and I are the same way on Sundays {Molly works now on Sundays}. Molly is my dear friend and when we are good, we walk several times a week in our neighborhood. I try not to talk too much shop with her, because we are friends for years but it does creep in. I appreciate her so much. 

I spent yesterday evening with my dear friend Amanda of Ferpie and Fray as she dropped off this gorgeous piece.
{seen below}


I swear when I tell Saint {my dear husband} that I am meeting Amanda, he knows not to expect me home for a few. We sit and talk about everything. I adore her. We are totally in sync with how we feel about the business and how we do business. Plus we are just crazy and funny together. We even have funny painter names for each other Rita and Maxine.


Friday I brought in more furniture, went over the new barcode system that Karla and I are working on,  merched in a ton more pillows, redid the front of the store, and then I headed out to go junking with Michelle of Blue Roof Cabin. 

She brought in this gorg headboard!

I was on the hunt for cool carriage doors for the front entry. We struck out, but had a really fun lunch together. I am mad about hanging with Michelle of Blue Roof Cabin. She has a really great sense of humor and a way about her that makes you feel like you can just be yourself. I feel lucky to have her as a friend.

I am now home getting ready to make 200 paper flowers for the shop after I make dinner for my family. 
Tomorrow I work, and in the evening we will hold our first paint class. Amanda is running the show and I am there to help. It will be a 12 hour day.

Sunday I deliver a buffet 30 miles away, then hop on a ferry to my parents for Mother's Day with my family.

I think this will be a fun thing to do every Friday, I might just do it again next week!