Wednesday, August 17, 2011

n o t   m y   u s u a l   r e d o

I bought this victorian dresser before I left for vacation. It is not the silhouette I normally go for but I knew it had potential to be fun and different.



The finish was bad, a ton of water spots, I did not want to tackle refinishing it. I sanded the piece, sprayed on Kilz clean start. For the body and drawers of the dresser I painted three coats of Benjamin Moores Simply White in Aura {primer added in, lots of primer going on this piece!}.  I distressed the edges and added two coats of wax to finish. I sprayed the original knobs a glossy black, their shape was cute but I wanted a high contrast. I have been doing this a lot lately. I am going through a high contrast phase.



For the top I added three coats of a black enamel paint in satin. I wanted the top to be very durable, so I went with the enamel paint. On it's own I think the enamel paint will hold up very well but I am going to add a wipe on poly {I haven't done this yet, before someone purchases it I will}.

Very fancy schmancy, not my usual. I was thinking it would make a great media center or buffet for someone. If you like it, this will be in the shop soon. 

Speaking of the new shop/studio. It is coming along, I am not only working on painting it and getting the space worked out, but the appropriate permits are taking longer than I thought so I will get items in there for sale as soon as I can!

linked up to these friends.
http://primitiveandproper.blogspot.com/
http://www.domestically-speaking.com/
http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/
http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com/2011/08/open-house-party_17.html
http://missmustardseed.blogspot.com/
http://chiconashoestringdecorating.blogspot.com/
http://justagirlblog.com/
http://www.lovelycraftyhome.com/