Saturday, July 23, 2011

m y    w o r k    p i l e,  a   c o n  f e s s i o n,   a n d  s o m e   q u e s t i o n s

This week for me has been about taking back control of my home and work space. I have had little time this summer keeping up on my housework and I haven't had much time to devote to my furniture painting. I am working on getting a permit to sell by appointment only, out of my detached garage in the fall. Wish me luck with this, I hope it works out because I don't want to have a retail space right now. I really want to keep my overhead low and I would rather meet clients in my studio turned store front rather than my home. I have a very large basement that I turned into another studio for smaller dressers, desks, and tables. The basement is not a walkout so the larger pieces will have to be in the garage studio.


But my garage right now is UGLY, at least it is pretty clean now though. I plan to curtain off the front portion of my garage {with the door}, paint the floor and walls white, and add white bead board to the ceiling. It will be rustic but it should be a clean background for colorful furniture. My deadline to finish this is the middle of September, do you think I can do this? Do you think I am crazy to try to make my garage look nice and sell out of? 



 Since I am showing you my garage, I might as well show you my work pile. I have a ton of projects I     am ready and excited to work on.
{More in the basement studio.}


My confession is.... I hate painting chairs, can you tell? I have them all lined up and stacked, ready to be worked on and I can't bring myself to do it. I think the reason is, I don't have a sprayer.  It is on my wish list, but right now I don't want to spend the money on a sprayer, I would rather buy more furniture.
 Also, I actually really love the process of hand painting pieces. But painting chairs by hand is a huge pain, I am not a fan. Is this weird? I love, I mean really love, painting tables, dressers {my favorite}, and buffets but I hate painting chairs.
Glad I got that off my chest!